Friday, June 27, 2008

As The Song Goes: "I AM IRONMAN".


The over-all race went pretty well for me. My over-all goal was to be able to finish and if I could finish I wanted 13 hrs but missed it by 35 minutes or so. The whole race I was in check with myself telling me not to go too hard because it was going to be a long day. The last thing I wanted to do was bonk in the last 3 miles. I was worried about the 2000 plus pack of people at the start of the swim but I moved toward the front and lined up with the bouys. I figured less people in front of me the better and if they wanted to go around me they can. I swam a nice pace the whole time. The water was 59 and I didnt think it was too bad until the end I started feeling cold and just wanted it over with. 2 loops on the swim. Much different than the Sprint tri's in that you dont really rush through the transitions, At least I didn't. The volunteers were great helping with everything. The bike was awesome heading out of town it was like I was in a TT you see on TV flying down the streets lined with people cheering behind barricades. About 40 miles in we started hitting hills, some pretty steep, others gradual, two loops so I knew miles 80-100 were going to be tough. The scenery was spectacular whenever I took a moment to look. I stayed very hydrated because I had to stop and pee a total of 5 times while on the bike. I was afraid that would drop my speed but I had to go. Towards the end of the bike my lower back was killing and I kept thinking I still need to run so stay calm. Finally in transition with volunteers at your beck and call with wet towels helping with your bag and your bike. I thought I was at a day spa(ha ha). I exited transition immediately started running and decided to do a run/walk tempo run3min walk 1. But I lost track of that with aid stations every mile so I just jogged from aid station to aid station and walked through each one hydrating and eating. Again I kept telling myself not to push too hard. I wanted too be able to run to to the finish. The run was two loops. Coming back into town and hitting mile 25 I couldnt believe I had made it. The crowds were nuts and you could see the finish banner in the distance. It was almost an emotional experience for me when I crossed that tape and the medal goes around your neck and you know you are an Ironman!! I took a good 30 minutes to recover in medical with a massage, a piece of pizza and a coke.

3 comments:

Britt or Michelle said...

Hey you are such a cool uncle! I am so glad you finished. I was bragging to all my friends up at camp that you did an irom man. They couldn't believe it! Great job!!!

Melanie said...

Good JOB!! I think it is great that you actually set your mind to it and did it! That is just awesome!

Team Rico said...

Your the MAN Richy! Now time to get back on the fat tires...